Saturday, February 22, 2014

A Heartwarming Story of Lost Friendship, New Friendship and Recognition

As a lifelong baseball fan, card collector and consumer of any information baseball related, I have acquired a fondness of the old Negro Leagues.  Maybe because it is largely a part of baseball history that is forgotten and under appreciated.  Or just learning about a part of the game that a lot of people don't know about. It is kind of like rooting for the underdog I guess.
One of my proudest collecting memories was when I attended a Negro League autograph show/fundraiser back in college.  A friend and I went to the show, got some autographs and listened to some of the old ballplayers tell some stories.  Ted "Double Duty" Radcliffe was especially enjoyable, I might add.
About this same time, Ken Burns made his documentary, "Baseball".  In it, he told stories and history of the Negro Leagues.  Over the almost twenty years since the release of "Baseball", the Negro Leagues and it's players has been appreciated much more.  There has been museums opened, Negro League appreciation days at MLB games and MLB has set up pensions for the players also.  But there is so much more that can be done to help out the old players and learn about the Negro Leagues itself.
Here is a story about a teenager, through his hobby, has picked up on this cause:



I was a bit like him as a kid. I wish I had the thought and wherewithal to do something like that as a youngster.  I suppose growing up in the internet age sure does help.
Regardless, I hope for many more successes for Mr. Perron.  I would like to see some the old players being helped out financially or just have some joy and recognition brought in their lives before it is too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment