In the past, we had the Iron Horse, Dizzy, Fordham Flash, Splendid Splinter and Oil Can. The Negro Leagues had the best nicknames though. I will give you my top 10 from the old Negro Leagues.
10) Norman "Turkey" Stearnes. Much like former Dodger Ron Cey (Penguin) or the Cardinals' Joe "Ducky" Medwick, Stearnes got his nickname because he moved around like the bird.
9) Sam "The Jet' Jethroe. He got his moniker because of his speed. He led the Negro Leagues in stolen bases three times and the National League twice.
8)Herbert "Rap" Dixon Even though you might think he got the nickname from his hitting prowess, he actually acquired it because Dixon is from the area near Rappahannock River in Virginia. Still cool enough to my make my list
7) "Bullet" Joe Rogan His blazing fastball and solid bat helped him become a great pitcher and outfielder and later a Hall of Famer.
6) James "Cool Papa" Bell. The Hall of Fame outfielder started out as a pitcher where he struck out the great Oscar Charleston as a 19 year old under pressure.
4) John "Mule" Miles His manager said he hit like a mule kicks
3) Dick "Cannonball" Redding. One of the top pitchers in the 1910s much to thanks from his great fastball
2) Jud Wilson. Got the nickname "Boojum" from his teammates after the sound of the ball when it hit the outfield walls.
|2001 Fleer Tradition Stitches In Time|